Thursday, December 12, 2013
Jazzed up veggie sandwich
Toasted fresh veggie sandwich with honey mustard and pickled ginger. How does that sound? Delish, I know. I love fresh veggie sandwiches because they're easy to make and can be quickly customized to suit your tastebuds. There's an infinite number of ways you can tweak the flavours with different breads, spreads, vegetables and relishes. My mom bought pickled ginger a while ago - the type you get with your sushi - and I've been experimenting with it as a topping. I found that it complements the mellow mozzarella and sweet honey mustard perfectly.
Toasted fresh veggie sandwich with honey mustard and pickled ginger
2 pieces plain white bread
2 tsp honey mustard
Sweet bell peppers - thinly sliced
Tomatoes - thinly sliced
1 lettuce leaf
Mozzarella - 2-3 thin slices
Pickled ginger - 1-2 tsp
1. Preaheat pan to medium-high heat.
2. Spread both pieces of bread with honey mustard.
3. On one piece of bread, layer the ingredients as follows: peppers, tomatoes, pickled ginger, mozzarella, and lettuce.
4. Cover with second piece of bread, mustard-side down.
5. Carefully place the sandwich in the pan. Press down gently with a spatula and toast for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
6. Remove sandwich to a cutting board, cut diagonally in half and serve hot.
Enjoy the crunch!